Historic Salem Chapel
History Located on the church's campus is the historic Salem Chapel. The history of the chapel can be traced as far back as 1818 when the Salem Meeting House was erected on the Stayman farm. The land and church were deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church for $100 in 1882 making Salem Chapel the oldest Methodist Church building in regular use in the Cumberland Valley. History records that the Confederate artillery fired from the church yard in 1863.The chapel closed in 1922 and reopened in 1953, by members of the Wesley Methodist Church in Mechanicsburg. In 1997 a new sanctuary was built for regular Sunday services, however the chapel is still used
for many special services.
Salem Chapel is available to the community for weddings, funerals, and special services.
The Chapel is equipped with heating and air conditioning. A pianist/organist is available upon request.
Please contact the church office for more information at (717) 766-3072, or click here to download our building use policy and forms.